The Fog Alarm Building
Panmure Island had one of the earliest fog alarms on the Island. In 1908, the Department of Transport built a fog alarm building measuring 31 feet (9.4 metres) by 24 feet (7.3 metres). It was constructed by B.D. Huntley to house a 3 inch Type F diaphone plant supplied by the Canadian Fog Signal Company of Toronto for $ 7,100.
That alarm was replaced by a Stone-Chance electric fog horn in 1971.
The building was sold off as surplus in 1980 and moved to an adjacent property and it can be seen in the field beside the lighthouse. The original concrete foundation for the fog alarm building can still be seen on the lighthouse property.
Fog Alarm Operators:
Mathias Condon 1908 to 1929 or later
Augustine Jamieson 1938 to 1940
Louis Jamieson 1940 to 1948